Friday, May 11, 2012

Patriotic Freebie!


How did America become the land of the free?

In Sweet Land of Liberty, Ellis the Elephant sets off on a quest to find out.Through an amazing afternoon at the library, Ellis travels through time and discovers the pivotal moments that have shaped our nation’s unique history, including, the Pilgrims’ first Thanksgiving, the Boston Tea Party, George Washington crossing the Delaware, pioneers settling the great frontier, the first man on the moon
and many more of the astounding events and people whose dreams, courage, and hard work have made America great.

With its vivid illustrations and charming rhymes, Sweet Land of Liberty is a must read for children and parents alike who want to explore our nation’s great history—and discover why America is a free and exceptional nation.
I know, I know I have gone out of control with books lately but you know how hard it can be to find books for specific reasons. I found Sweet Land of Liberty and just had  to grab my copy because it touches on so many things that we have learned about and discussed in Kindergarten. Although when it "touches on" these particular areas, it is brief. I was ok with that because it can be such a springboard for many discussions.

This book would be a great resource to use to cover many Social Studies topics. It covers objectives:

Explain the reasons for national patriotic holidays such as Presidents' Day, Veterans Day, and Independence Day.

 Identify customs associated with national patriotic holidays such as parades and fireworks on Independence Day.

Identify contributions of historical figures, including  George Washington.
Identify the flag of the United States.

Recite the pledge to the flag of the United States.

 This book had me feeling a little patriotic and I have to admit I love anything patriotic. I made a few resources for my class to use around Memorial Day. I wanted to share a few of them with you. Click on the images below to get your free copy and celebrate the red, white and blue with us too!


5 comments:

Lori Rosenberg said...

That looks like a book a must add to my collection. I love the activity freebies you posted, to! Thanks so very much!

Lori (luvyorkies@gmail.com)
Teaching With Love and Laughter

Busy Bees said...

My kids loved learning about the Statue of Liberty. They had so many questions and wanted me to google them. Going to have to put that book on my summer read list/buy!
Thanks!
Robynn
BusyBees

Lori said...

This looks like a wonderful book! Thank you for sharing that and your patriotic ideas!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

School Sparks Renee said...

Great pick as we approach July 4th!! Thanks, Renee

Jessica Ann Stanford said...

Very cute ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Jessica Stanford
Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog
My TpT Store

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover