Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Celebrating Black History!

As part of our Classroom Connection with Mrs. Jorgenson from My Kindergarten Kids, we are sharing Black History ideas and inspiration. We received a letter this morning from her class and we have been working on our response. We have been busy making a mixed media mural for the program and for the first time we got to try out oil pastels. We liked the pastels but it does take some time getting used to them.
We have been busy getting ready to recite a poem for the morning announcements YIKES! Our school is featuring African American Poetry during the announcements. Lucky, LUCKY for us we have been given the poem Peas by Henry Dumas.

Peas in the pod
peas in my gut
peas in the belly roll
doing the strut.
Blackeyes over
blackeyes down
blackeyes browneyes going to town!

We have our annual Black History program this Friday and we can't wait to share one of our favorite events of the year with you!

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

What a great poem!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! YES, the crayons are hard to peel. I broke two fingernails! And, did it seem as if breaking them was more difficult with the paper OFF?! Lol, they seem to break with ease in my kindergarten classroom. :-)

ReadWriteSing

My Kindergarten Kids said...

Love the poem and the mural - such wonderful art work! Can't wait to hear back from your class - my kids are very excited! :)
My Kindergarten Kids

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover